ILLINI GIRLS STATE AT EASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
Sponsored By American Legion Auxiliary
Department of Illinois
Illini Girls State is a simulation patterned after the State of Illinois; it follows Illinois governmental procedure as closely as possible. It is a practical seven day application of Americanism and good citizenship which attempts to teach and inculcate in our youth a love of America and a sense of individual obligation to community, state, and nation. It is a powerful, intense learning experience.
584 of the States best and brightest girls will come together and participate in this hands-on experience. They will learn the way the two-party system works. They will elect city, county, and state officials. They will learn the duties of various public offices – their functions, limitations, and powers. They will have their own legislature where they introduce, debate and pass their own bills. They regulate their own cities, enforce their laws, and hold mock court trials.
- Applicants must be in their Junior year of high school.
- The certification on the back of the Application Card must be signed by the high school principal or guidance counselor certifying that the applicant is maintaining a C average or above, possesses qualities of leadership, has good character and is cooperative.
- Applicants must attend the entire session. Be sure your applicants are not planning to take the ACT/SAT test during the session or leave for any camp or social function.
- Each applicant must be willing to pledge allegiance to the Flag of our Country and to abide by all rules of Illini Girls State.
- Any Unit of the American Legion Auxiliary may sponsor a girl. Units may send a second girl if space is available on a first come, first served basis. Outside organizations or individuals are welcome to fund, Unit sponsored girls, if the quota of 584 girls is not filled by May 1 of the current year. Department Headquarters will accept registration fees with the understanding that they will be returned if space is not available.
- After the Girls State Session, each girl will be expected to appear before her sponsoring organization to give a report on her experiences at Girls State.
- It is a rule of the IGS Commission that the selection of the girl must be based on fairness to every eligible girl and the selection should not be limited to Junior members of the American Legion Auxiliary or members of Legion or Auxiliary families.
All fees and transportation arrangements are taken care of by Naperville Post #43.
THE 73nd SESSION OF ILLINI GIRLS STATE WILL BE JUNE 16 – 22, 2013
Once again we are looking for girls interested in attending Illini Girls State. If you are a high school student finishing your junior year in 2013 and are interested in this program, please contact Lauren Evans, (630) 904-7578 for further details.You can also find out more by going to: Illini Girls State at http://www.ilala.org/igs.html